Monday 8 December 2014

Do you need a certified, notarised or legalised translation? We can help you!

“Can you provide official translations?” This is one of the questions we are asked on a daily basis. Not only private clients, but also notaries, solicitors and other businesses people often require translations which can be used for official or legal purposes. Because we can offer different services, we thought it would be useful to summarise briefly the main types of official or legal translations you might need.

Determine which service is right for you

Our translations can be certified, notarised or legalised to suit your exact requirements. These services are available for all major world languages, as well as many rare languages.

You should always check with the relevant authorities which type of legalisation is required for your translated documents prior to proceeding with the work. The level of legalisation can vary depending on the nature of the document and the purpose for which it is being translated and legalised.

If the details contained in your documentation are sensitive or personal, you can be assured that all documents received are treated with strict confidentiality.

Certified translations

This is the simplest form of certification, usually required for use by non-governmental institutions such as universities, insurance companies or employers.

We will stamp your translated documents with our company stamp attesting to the fact that the translation has been carried out by a qualified translator and that we believe it to be a ‘true and accurate’ piece of work. 

Notarised translation

Translations of commercial or personal documents can be notarised. This is a more formal type of certification for translations, often required by formal governmental and legal organisations.

A representative from ApLingo will attend the office of a Notary Public and swear under oath and in writing that the translation is true and accurate. The Notary Public will then sign and stamp the translation to confirm its authenticity.

Legalised translation

Some translations of UK documents require legalisation by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. This is a greater level of certification, required when translations are to be used abroad (e.g. overseas marriage certificates, adoption, visas or job applications).

Again, the authenticity of the translation is confirmed by a Notary Public. It is then sent to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, where a final document called the Apostille is signed, attesting that the Notary Public had the authority to sign the notarisation. This final document proves that all the legal steps have been completed and that the document is authentic.

We hope that you will find short this guide helpful but if you have any queries, we will be more than happy to assist you. The applicable fees depend on the level of certification required and the size and number of the documents. Please do not hesitate to contact us on 0800 389 6571 or by email ( for a no-obligation quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment